266th BN History
The 266th Quartermaster Battalion has a long and proud history. The battalion was activated 28 August 1942. It served in North Africa and Italy in a variety of logistical capacities and earned battle honors for participation in the Rome-Arno campaign. The battalion earned its second battle streamer in Southern France before moving into Germany, remaining there until war's end. The 266th was inactivated in Germany on 18 May 1946.
The 266th was reactivated 25 March 1963 and sent to Long Binh, Republic of Vietnam. The battalion spent nearly seven years in Vietnam. The main mission of the battalion was acting as a command and control center for logistical service. The 266th received two Meritorious Unit Commendations and fifteen battle streamers for distinguished service during the Vietnam War. The battalion was inactivated 14 March 1973.
On 12 February 1987, the 1st Battalion, United States Army Quartermaster School was redesigned as the 266th Quartermaster Battalion and earned the right to use its motto of "Providers...Training to Support". Today the battalion proudly produces technically and tactically proficient Food Service Specialists and unit supply to units throughout the world.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 266th Quartermaster Battalion on 4 May 1964. It was redesignated on 27 Dec 1966 for the 266th Supply and Service Battalion. The insignia was redesignated and the description amended on 9 Oct 1986 for the 266th Quartermaster Battalion. The insignia consists of the shield and motto of the coat of arms blazoned: Azure, between five bezants a bar wavy Argent cottised potente Or. Attached below the shield a gold scroll inscribed “THE PROVIDERS” in blue letters. The wavy bar represents the Rhineland and the gold bars between the five gold roundels are symbolic of direct support of combat troops throughout five campaigns in Italy, France and Germany.
This page was last updated on: August 6, 2013